The synthesis session on Tuesday afternoon, the second day of the conference, will discuss current approaches to integrated ecosystem assessment applied to estuarine and coastal ecosystems and lessons learned in the application of estuarine and coastal science to management. Attached below are some links and comments related to the topics for discussion Tuesday afternoon.
Topic 1: IEA defined - What is integrated ecosystem assessment and how is it being used in coastal and estuarine ecosystems?
- Synthesis Topic 1: Integrated Ecosystem Assessment - http://cerf2011.blogspot.com/2011/10/economic-value-of-coasts-estuaries.html
- NOAA's Integrated Ecosystem Assessment Program - http://cerf2011.blogspot.com/2011/10/noaas-integrated-ecosystem-assessment.html
- PCAST Recommends National Ecosystem Assessments, Better Science - http://cerf2011.blogspot.com/2011/08/pcast-recommends-national-ecosystem.html
Topic 2: Human dimensions - How can we include humans and the effects of their activities on the coastal and estuarine environment in integrated ecosystem assessments.
- All You Need to Know About Offshore Wind Farms - http://cerf2011.blogspot.com/2011/10/all-you-need-to-know-about-offshore.html
- Canadian Study Calculates Costs of Global Change to Coastal Communities - http://cerf2011.blogspot.com/2011/10/canadian-study-calculates-costs-of.html
- Notes and Comments on System Complexity - http://cerf2011.blogspot.com/2011/10/notes-and-comments-on-system-complexity.html
- The Economic Value of Coasts & Estuaries - http://cerf2011.blogspot.com/2011/10/economic-value-of-coasts-estuaries.html
- Valuing Ecosystem Services, Assessing Choices - http://cerf2011.blogspot.com/2011/10/valuing-ecosystem-services-assessing.html
Topic 3: Management applications – What have we learned from past experience of applying science in the management of coastal and estuarine ecosystems.
- Case Studies of Coastal Science and Management at Regional Scale - http://cerf2011.blogspot.com/2011/07/case-studies-of-coastal-science-and.html
- Coastal Scientists and Managers in a Three-legged Race to Set Nutrient Criteria - http://cerf2011.blogspot.com/2011/08/coastal-sciences-and-managers-in-three.html
- Collaborative Decision-making Uses Science Effectively - http://cerf2011.blogspot.com/2011/09/collaborative-decision-making-uses.html
- Maryland BayStat - Fighting Crime, Restoring Ecosystems, and Connecting People - http://cerf2011.blogspot.com/2011/09/fighting-crime-and-restoring-ecosystems.html
- Northern Gulf of Mexico (Brain-)dead Zone - http://cerf2011.blogspot.com/2011/09/northern-gulf-of-mexico-brain-dead-zone.html
- Randy Olson et al. on Science and Politics Today - http://cerf2011.blogspot.com/2011/11/three-essays-on-science-and-politics.html